Favourite track on The Gospel According To The Meninblack

All the ongoing Polls are in here - make sure you`ve voted on all of em!

Favourite track on The Gospel According To The Meninblack?

Waltzinblack
9%
Just Like Nothing On Earth
6%
Second Coming
8%
Waiting For The Meninblack
6%
Turn The Centuries, Turn
5%
Two Sunspots
10%
Four Horsemen
24%
Thrown Away
16%
Manna Machine
3%
Hallow To Our Men
13%

Total votes: 79

shah
The Raven
The Raven

Re: Favourite track on The Gospel According To The Meninblac

Post by shah » 14 Oct 2016, 15:49

Gotta be 4 Horsies. Complex, involving, clever, odd, tuneu, topped by Dave's delivery and his wonderful keyboard wanderings at the end - particularly live when it dissipates into that glacial tinkling as it drifts off like the mirage that the Four Horsemen are. Fantastic.

Mind you, a beefy Rockstage version on Thrown Away would have given it a run for the money, but it's leaden, lifeless and unfinished in its lp form.
shah shaaah...go go...
shah shaaah...go go...
shah shaaah...

marky
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by marky » 14 Oct 2016, 19:30

jlnoe for me but that could change tomorrow I absolutely love this album and how they pioneered technology in the studio in order to get the sound and feel of the album I loved the gatefold sleeve and the poster of the last supper jlnoe is one of hughs very finest vocal performances its not just the tongue twisting lyrics its his weirdly conversational vocal style on this song a true stranglers classic

Versatran
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Versatran » 18 Oct 2016, 13:03

Manna Machine. Bewildered me at the time, love it now. I wonder if there's a longer version in the vaults.
Give me back my summer in Dresden, man

jonimac
Rats Rally

Post by jonimac » 18 Oct 2016, 19:51

I've been listening to the album quite a bit recently, and I think Jet's drumming is very underrated on it.
It seems to be divided into the Tom Side (side 1) and the snare side (side 2).

On side 1 he seems determined not to hit the snare unless really forced, and even then, it's never during any conventional beat.
It really adds to the low end sound of that side.
I think that's why it took me years to actually warm to it. Far too advanced for your typical 14 year old's ears !

On side 2, he is in more traditional territory, kicking straight into Two Sunspots.

As a side note, I have rediscovered the bass in Maninwhite. Love it.
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)

Greatkudu
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Greatkudu » 19 Oct 2016, 12:11

jonimac wrote:I've been listening to the album quite a bit recently, and I think Jet's drumming is very underrated on it.
It seems to be divided into the Tom Side (side 1) and the snare side (side 2).

On side 1 he seems determined not to hit the snare unless really forced, and even then, it's never during any conventional beat.
It really adds to the low end sound of that side.
I think that's why it took me years to actually warm to it. Far too advanced for your typical 14 year old's ears !

On side 2, he is in more traditional territory, kicking straight into Two Sunspots.

As a side note, I have rediscovered the bass in Maninwhite. Love it.
Possibly the greatest Stranglers album for pure creativity? As for Jet's underrated drumming?

When was his drumming not underrated by some people who seem to think the mark of a great

drummer is how many fills and rolls you put in to a song.Jet's drumming on M.I.B is pure genius

the way he got the drums to sound like a drum machine etc.And it has another one of those

amazing Jet patterns with "JLNOE" which is one of the greatest Stranglers songs? IMHO due to

the crazy alliteration lyrics,Hugh's hi life African guitar sound,Daves moog sounds etc.

A work of pure sonic perfection.

Cola Can
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Favourite track on The Gospel According To The Meninblack

Post by Cola Can » 26 Jan 2017, 23:55

I love this album and have done since it was first released. Every song / tune is excellent. Two instrumentals is very brave and Hallow is an excellent ending - they should play that live again - that'll totally throw everyone! I love the back story to Two Sunspots (they slowed it down to create the Meninblack song for the Raven - but you all know that) and Manna Machine is just evidence of how full of drugs they must have been - can you imagine them trying to put a track like that out now? Wow.
Procrastinators: Leaders of Tomorrow

MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Favourite track on The Gospel According To The Meninblack

Post by MULLY » 27 Jan 2017, 13:58

To paraphrase JJ....

You gotta love all the 'children' the Meninblack produced, but this particular one is on the high functioning autistic spectrum - in definite need of special attention compared to some of the other kids.
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better