STRAIGHTEN OUT -2012 TOUR

4 More Heroes, No More Heroes, The Meninblack etc etc in ere

Moderator: StanInBlack

MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: STRAIGHTEN OUT -2012 TOUR

Post by MULLY »

unbroken69 wrote:I saw Hugh Cornwell playing in Belfast in May 1998 along with Spear Of Destiny and if there was was more than 7 at that, it wasn´t by much. It´s one of the worst places to predict a decent turnout.

Anyway, it was good of Straighten Out to include Belfast on their tour unlike the real thing.
Oldsoldier wrote:Maybe the death knell for the tribute band?
The Empire - I was at that one too, but remember there being at least double figures in attendance.
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
iain
Ugly
Ugly

Post by iain »

MULLY wrote:
unbroken69 wrote:I saw Hugh Cornwell playing in Belfast in May 1998 along with Spear Of Destiny and if there was was more than 7 at that, it wasn´t by much. It´s one of the worst places to predict a decent turnout.

Anyway, it was good of Straighten Out to include Belfast on their tour unlike the real thing.
The Empire - I was at that one too, but remember there being at least double figures in attendance.
Me too. A Sunday night..if I remember correctly.
Dont remember the numbers being that bad though, no worse than Hugh's last trip over.

Seem to recall 'Four More Heroes' had a decent enough turnout in the Limelight. Which year was that?
rotten thoughts
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

It was Sunday 3rd May 1998 and it was part of the Heads and Tails tour with Spear of Destiny, earlier that afternoon Arsenal had stuffed Everton 4.0 to win the premiership in what was to be a double winning season for the gooners.

I remember briefly chatting to Mully at the bar and then another fan acausted me in the bog while rather vehemently protesting that he was a bigger fan than I was. I wasn´t going to argue with the psycho, especially in the toilet. Oddly enough the same muppet was in Belfast on Hugh´s last visit and he tried to hand Hugh a note and repeatedly kept muttering to his hero at the front of the stage, that he was his no. 1 fan and had bought the first 3 albums back in 77.

Anyway back to May 3rd 1998, Hugh and band came on first, sporting night vision jobbies they played most of the Nosferatu album. At that time he still wasn´t playing any Stranglers songs, despite stalker Mr.Psycho no 1 fan repeatedly shouting out for `Waltzinblack´. When Hugh first took off the night vision thingy me bobs, he was shocked to see the size of the audience, I honestly think it was the lowest attended gig he had done since 1974. It was barely double figures, if indeed it was. Later on when Spear of Destiny came on, a few free loading punters came from the pub downstairs, which maybe boosted the audience to about 25. Kirk "I swear I didn´t bum Boy George" Brandon had his own stalker who kept giving him the thumbs up at the opening chords of each number. The chap went ecstatic when he started the familar intro to "Westworld" prompting my brother and I sitting near the front into fits of laughter. Brandon desperately nodding our way with an expression that said "save me from this imbecile".

Anyway as Iain said the Four More Heroes gig in the Limelight about 2001?? did have a fair attendance as did the last Hugh one which was around the 70 mark.

Belfast can be a really strange place for gigs in more ways than one.

iain wrote:
MULLY wrote:

Me too. A Sunday night..if I remember correctly.
Dont remember the numbers being that bad though, no worse than Hugh's last trip over.

Seem to recall 'Four More Heroes' had a decent enough turnout in the Limelight. Which year was that?
Oh the bliss, oh the pleasure caressing your ears.
iain
Ugly
Ugly

Post by iain »

Splendid recall there.
Was that the bloke Hugh lost the bap with, 'cant you see I'm working?' or something. :lol:
rotten thoughts
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

Yeah the very one. By the looks of the fella he got the first 3 albums but didn´t get any of the rest because he was doing a long stretch in HMP Maghaberry or perhaps he was occupying a confined space with soft walls in Purdysburn.

That last Hugh gig in Belfast was 3 years ago. Where does the time go?

iain wrote:Splendid recall there.
Was that the bloke Hugh lost the bap with, 'cant you see I'm working?' or something. :lol:
iain
Ugly
Ugly

Post by iain »

unbroken69 wrote:Yeah the very one. By the looks of the fella he got the first 3 albums but didn´t get any of the rest because he was doing a long stretch in HMP Maghaberry or perhaps he was occupying a confined space with soft walls in Purdysburn.

My wee neice was in the house the other day and lying about was the Meninblack scarf I bought at the Ulster Hall in 1981. She saw the date, looked at me and said 'you're ancient'.
Seems like yesterday to me
rotten thoughts
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

At the very distinctive risk of sounding like an old fart, it is the first 20 years that last a life time and the rest seem to be a few blinks. I had something similar said to me recently, like your episode with the scarf. I was wearing a Julian Cope, St. Julian t´shirt with the 1987 tour dates on it, I was informed that the garment gave away my advancing years, although I would´ve thought the greying hair and the expanding waistline would be a better indicator of the clock ticking. :roll:
iain wrote:
unbroken69 wrote:Yeah the very one. By the looks of the fella he got the first 3 albums but didn´t get any of the rest because he was doing a long stretch in HMP Maghaberry or perhaps he was occupying a confined space with soft walls in Purdysburn.

My wee neice was in the house the other day and lying about was the Meninblack scarf I bought at the Ulster Hall in 1981. She saw the date, looked at me and said 'you're ancient'.
Seems like yesterday to me
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

anybody know roughly what time they'll be playin tonight ?
I Hate You !
peasant
SHAKESPEARO

Post by peasant »

aldinblack wrote:anybody know roughly what time they'll be playin tonight ?
On their facebook page it says "The band are on stage between 9 and 9:15"
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

peasant wrote:
aldinblack wrote:anybody know roughly what time they'll be playin tonight ?
On their facebook page it says "The band are on stage between 9 and 9:15"
cool, cheers

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?qc1eqi
I Hate You !
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Don't think so. Straighten Out are the guys we will turn to in the very near future...IMHO.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Well I just saw them for the first time. The first couple of songs - bitching, then something else (can't remember now dagenham perhaps) + 5 mins - ok but not great, left me thinking how good the strangs live are still..

Really got going after that though. We were treated to sometimes, Toulouse, princess, London lady, hangin around, grip, even a brilliant version of Sewer !
Small place & turnout but great atmosphere. Got Wog, dead ringer, SBC, nubiles, peasant & nmh. Plus tank and toiler, sleazy and straighten out + even The Raven at the end. Walk on by played as well.

Great set and brilliantly played, the longer it went on the better it got. Highlights for me is obviously Sewer + The Raven.

All in all a great night out, & I'm sure everyone there enjoyed themselves, will definately go back for more...

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?abqlk0
I Hate You !