The Sugar Bullets

Post by theraven1979 »

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
chopper
Down In The Sewer

Re: The Sugar Bullets

Post by chopper »

3 of of 10 for effort, the lights looked good.
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

Better than I could do, 7/10.
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
s.harris
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by s.harris »

'Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining'
Fatbusjim

Post by Fatbusjim »

I know these guys and a top set of Lads they are and really love what they do.

I've been to quite a few of their gigs and a great nights entertainment everytime - recommended.

http://www.thesugarbullets.co.uk/
Flyboy
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Flyboy »

I applaud anyone who wants to make real music and am also envious that I am not in a band.

This band seem to offer an alternative slant on The Stranglers, anyone who wants to spread the word is worthy in my book.

Nice one fella's!

:smt038
TheSugarBullets
SHAKESPEARO

Post by TheSugarBullets »

Hya guys,
I'm Dean, the drummer from The Sugar Bullets.
Dave aka 'Fatbusjim' told me we'd been mentioned here in Stranglers land... hope you're all well.

Just wanted to come on here & say thanks for the heads up and your comments...we really love what we do and the songs we play. Just wanted to point out in case of any confusion that we're not a specific Stranglers Tribute Band but actually a 'Classic Punk' Tribute Band covering over 18 original Punk Rock bands from the 1977-1982 era...of which The Stranglers are included in our set...of course :grin:

The Stranglers numbers we do are 'No More Heroes' and 'Five Minutes' (although I have been playing 'Hanging Around' with another band recently) - our live versions of those songs are totally stripped down from how the original records sound and probably most Stranglers Tribute Bands I presume, who's aim is obviously to re-create The Stranglers sound as bang on as possible, like 'Straighten Out' who are f**kin brilliant at what they do. Our 3-piece show tends to lean more towards the rawer anarchy Sex Pistol, Clash, Dead Kennedys, Stiff Little Fingers type Punk...as opposed to the more 'sophisticated' Punk sound The Strangers invented. However, whilst we don't have a perfectly polished Stranglers sound (and don't aim to), we still enjoy playing their songs and are definitely an integral part of our set...a Stranglers choon always goes down a storm!

Once again thanks for the mention & if any of you are in the North West try get along to a gig sometime.

Thanks
Dean
www.thesugarbullets.co.uk
www.facebook.com/thesugarbullets
Freddie Laker
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Freddie Laker »

Flyboy wrote:I applaud anyone who wants to make real music and am also envious that I am not in a band.

This band seem to offer an alternative slant on The Stranglers, anyone who wants to spread the word is worthy in my book.

Nice one fella's!

:smt038
I agree.
Nice work, guys. 8)
Turkey Troter
Rats Rally

Post by Turkey Troter »

TheSugarBullets wrote:Hya guys,
I'm Dean, the drummer from The Sugar Bullets.
Dave aka 'Fatbusjim' told me we'd been mentioned here in Stranglers land... hope you're all well.

Just wanted to come on here & say thanks for the heads up and your comments...we really love what we do and the songs we play. Just wanted to point out in case of any confusion that we're not a specific Stranglers Tribute Band but actually a 'Classic Punk' Tribute Band covering over 18 original Punk Rock bands from the 1977-1982 era...of which The Stranglers are included in our set...of course :grin:

The Stranglers numbers we do are 'No More Heroes' and 'Five Minutes' (although I have been playing 'Hanging Around' with another band recently) - our live versions of those songs are totally stripped down from how the original records sound and probably most Stranglers Tribute Bands I presume, who's aim is obviously to re-create The Stranglers sound as bang on as possible, like 'Straighten Out' who are f**kin brilliant at what they do. Our 3-piece show tends to lean more towards the rawer anarchy Sex Pistol, Clash, Dead Kennedys, Stiff Little Fingers type Punk...as opposed to the more 'sophisticated' Punk sound The Strangers invented. However, whilst we don't have a perfectly polished Stranglers sound (and don't aim to), we still enjoy playing their songs and are definitely an integral part of our set...a Stranglers choon always goes down a storm!

Once again thanks for the mention & if any of you are in the North West try get along to a gig sometime.

Thanks
Dean
http://www.thesugarbullets.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/thesugarbullets
So how about some dates down south for us poor folk down here?
Can't you see can't you see that you're rocking the boat?
TheSugarBullets
SHAKESPEARO

Post by TheSugarBullets »

Turkey Troter wrote:So how about some dates down south for us poor folk down here?
We would be happy to play anywhere, but it's got to be cost effective and as we are labelled by most venues as a 'cover' band (even though we're a tribute to a specific era with all the clothes & swagger etc.), they're only willing to pay us their local 'going-rate' whether we're 10 miles away or 100 and it ain't much! By cost effective I don't mean profitable, I mean the expense to us individually for petrol, accommodation, meals etc., then there's our families to think about too.

Having said that we do cover a lot of the North West from Morecambe/Lancaster up near the Lake District down to Macclesfield/Northwich in Cheshire, with most of our weekly 'bread & butter' gigs in towns/villages inbetween in & around Manchester...basically anywhere where there's a Punk audience & people know us.

The only times we've strayed outside the NW are for Charity events/Bike Rallies. We played at a National Bike Rally a couple years ago over in East Yorkshire, massive marquee in front of thousands of people..these are the type of gigs you just don't turn down as a local band. Last year we were offered a slot at a rally in Oxford but we agreed it was just too far to travel when all things considered. We also did a gig in North Wales ages ago, cracking little place and it went really well but the manager left and the place fell off the gigging circuit. We also support a few other local Charity events in the Summer, mostly just for the experience and enjoyment of playing large 'outdoor' stages in front of more people than usual.

Whilst we take the band seriously & have loads of fun (and hopefully put on a decent show), it's just a hobby at the end of the day doing what we love...how far can you really take it playing other people's music? There's very few cover/tribute bands making a decent living from it thats for sure.

We'd love to come down South, maybe one day eh.

Thanks
Dean
The Sugar Bullets
http://www.thesugarbullets.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/thesugarbullets
Fatbusjim

Post by Fatbusjim »

Welcome to the Forum Dean, great couple of posts.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Nice one Dean - I'm sure a lot of us will keep checking your site but maybe when you get dates through stick em on here - I'm sure the odd few will give their support.

Thanks

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"