Greetings from Texas~

If you`re new to the site post in here and we`ll say hello! - Also if you haven`t posted in the last 3 months post here to keep your account alive - otherwise it will be removed.
Americanstrangler
Down In The Sewer

Greetings from Texas~

Post by Americanstrangler »

I don't see many fans here from the USA, but I guess that's not surprising since The Stranglers never toured America. Anyway, I would like to introduce myself and tell you my "Stranglers Story"- my name is Tracy and I've been listening to The Stranglers since 1977- I bought their first album as a 13 yr old and I had to order it from the back of a magazine, because it was an import. The Stranglers weren't played in the night clubs here, so none of my friends even knew who the band was, and many still don't. I had the opportunity to see and meet Hugh Cornwell a few months ago when he played a club a longtime friend of mine owns in Houston, Texas called #'s. I never knew that the other band members were still together and performing, until Hugh announced it onstage! When I got home, I searched the internet and I was pleased to see that the other members were recording and had what appeared to be a huge fan base in Europe.

One night as I was browsing the band's Facebook page, I saw the information posted for their current tour dates. I noticed that they were playing Paris on my birthday, so I jokingly told my husband, "The Stranglers are playing in Paris on my BIRTHDAY! Wouldn't that be the best birthday present EVER?!" We then both laughed about it. Can you imagine my surprise when my husband told me a few months later to start making the arrangements to see the band in Paris for my birthday? My husband is also a Stranglers Fan, but he was introduced to the band's music thru me, and that' not the same as discovering it as a kid on your own in 1977. He knows how much I've always wanted to see The Stranglers, but never had the opportunity, so this is a chance of a lifetime for me!

I have my tickets for the Paris show and the flight is booked, but I would really like to meet some real Stranglers fans while I am in Paris- preferably ones who speak English, because I don't speak French. Are any of you fine people planning to see the band at the Olympia on April 13th? :smt004

Tracy

Dom P
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: Greetings from Texas~

Post by Dom P »

Hi
I'm actually writing from the US right now.... Although I'm normally in England. Shame you never saw them, as they did tour the US several times from 1978 up to 1987.... but never mind, there will be plenty of English speakers for you I'm sure in Paris...Enjoy!
Dom
"I think you guys are going to have to come up with some wonderful new lies, or people just aren't going to want to go on living." -- Slaughterhouse-Five

Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Alexinblack »

Welcome to the forum mate.

Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

Greetings from the middle of the North Sea. :smt006 :smt006 :smt006

I'm sure if you keep checking on here, there'll be a dedicated thread of a meet before the Paris gig.
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.

BazinBlack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by BazinBlack »

Welcome to our world :smile:
Strolling along minding my own business.....

elvisintheclouds
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by elvisintheclouds »

Hi Tracy, great post. Your story warms the cockles of the heart. Hope you have the bestest birthday in Paris 8) EiTC
Thank you very much
EiTC

ryaninblack
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by ryaninblack »

Cool......

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Welcome

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

Blackbeered
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Blackbeered »

Welcome aboard Tracy - great story, glad you're getting to see them after waiting for so long - a 'few' of us saw them at the Olympia in 2009, you'll love it - just be warned about the price of the beer :grin:
Bring me a piece of my mummy, she was quite close to me........

Sword sparkle
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Sword sparkle »

Hello and Welcome Tracy,
I imagine there will be a few English speakers watching the lads in Paris.
I hope you have a great time!!
Yarp.
When I say ugly I don't mean rough looking I mean hideoussssss

dan-electro
Ugly
Ugly

Post by dan-electro »

Greetings from Scotland :smt006
Hugh - "We had gangs of skinheads coming along trying to cause problems and stuff"
Rick Wakeman - "How did you deal with it?"
Hugh - "Our bass player used to jump off the stage and beat the shit out of them!"

Americanstrangler
Down In The Sewer

Post by Americanstrangler »

Thanks for the warm welcome! I visited Rome in 2000, but haven't been back to Europe since then, so I'm really looking forward to this trip! Blackbeered- do you recall if the Olympia had restrictions on cameras or taking pictures? I bought floor seats. After only 50 people showing up to see Hugh, I have no idea what to expect, but it really seems like the rest of The Stranglers have a large following. Should I expect to see a huge crowd at this show? One more thing- I see some of you have been able to actually meet band members after the shows and get autographs. I wonder if that sort of thing is possible at the Olympia? Does the band do any type of "meet and greet"?

Sorry for all of the questions~ I'm sure there will be many more! :smt003

Tracy

This is a picture of me taken in Rome-