Hi Folks! Wondering about earlier CD editions...

If you`re new to the site post in here and we`ll say hello! - Also if you haven`t posted in the last 3 months post here to keep your account alive - otherwise it will be removed.
b1daly
SHAKESPEARO

Hi Folks! Wondering about earlier CD editions...

Post by b1daly » 06 Jul 2018, 03:06

Just popping in to say hi. I'm a long time fan...mostly the first four classic albums, though the Stranglers never did anything that was uninteresting.

I found this forum, as I am trying to figure out if CD copies of the early albums, released before the 96 remasters, are floating around out there, and if folks think they sound any better.

The remasters sound pretty terrible, though they still get the essence across. I grew up on the vinyl, and these new version lack the visceral satisfaction of the originals.

Cheers!
Brian

gjinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Hi Folks! Wondering about earlier CD editions...

Post by gjinblack » 06 Jul 2018, 11:54

I had an early CD of Rattus. It wasn't good, the separation of the music tracks was too wide.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

euromanc-ometh

zontar
Ugly
Ugly

Post by zontar » 06 Jul 2018, 21:13

NOTHING can match the original vinyl, @ least in our lifetime. Even cassettes sound warmer than AAD CD's

Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack » 07 Jul 2018, 08:33

When did the Old Testament box set come out? That was bloody exciting when it was released :smt006
'Peaches - A Chronicle of The Stranglers from 1974 to 1990', out 2014 on Soundcheck Books.

Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.

yesican
Ugly
Ugly

Post by yesican » 07 Jul 2018, 12:03

Thing it was 1992 when it was released , the first time.

b1daly
SHAKESPEARO

Post by b1daly » 27 Jul 2018, 02:38

FWIW, I have picked up older CD versions of Black and White, and The Raven, from the late 80s.

They sound vastly better than the remasters from the 90s. It's really a shame. The remasters are way too bright, and overly compressed, the impact of the drums is wrong. The 90s were an unfortunate time for remaster projects, because contemporary commercial CDs were mastered super loud.

To make a really loud mix like that sound good requires pre thought all the way through the production.

Just taking these old recordings, and trying to slam them through limiters to make them close to as loud is very destructive to the original mixes.

In any case, while I wouldn't say these older CDs sound amazing, they are much closer to how I remember the vinyl sounding!

I'm going to start keeping my eye out for older versions of my favorite 70s albums.

I tend to listen to Spotify, and they will almost always stream the latest, remastered versions.

Another of my favorite bands, Cheap Trick, has suffered this same fate with the last round of "digital remasters."

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 » 27 Jul 2018, 07:47

A rule of thumb for me is that if the album is pre late 80s then you should probably get it on vinyl. The producer etc would have had that format in mind. Anything post late 80s go with Cd for same reason. There's a whole wiki page on sound wars that effected remasters in mid 90s with samples demonstrating the damage.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

b1daly
SHAKESPEARO

Post by b1daly » 28 Jul 2018, 10:51

eh, I have to take that back on Black and White, the 1988 version I just picked up sounds worse than the 96 remaster...the 88 era Raven CD though does sound better than the remasters...I think it was a dutch release

b1daly
SHAKESPEARO

Post by b1daly » 28 Jul 2018, 10:57

There's really no reason that recordings from the pre CD era can't be mastered to sound great in digital formats...the problem is the "loudness wars" of the 90s hit right about the time that people/industry started to realize that A- there wasn't a huge amount of thought put into the initial digital masters, and B- the rise of mp3 players and computer streamed music made it painfully clear that the difference between the level on current masterings and old was insane. So they remastered, with better converter technology, but had this "need" to match the loudness of modern recordings.

As time went on, too, I think it probably became harder to work with high quality master tapes.

The most recent remasters of the Led Zepplin catalog sound pretty great.

The relative loudness between songs of different recordings is less of an issue now, because the major streaming services implement algorithms to normalize the volumes between songs.

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 » 28 Jul 2018, 11:15

b1daly wrote:
28 Jul 2018, 10:57

The relative loudness between songs of different recordings is less of an issue now, because the major streaming services implement algorithms to normalize the volumes between songs.
And probably losing quality in doing so. That said I'm 43 now and me hearing isn't probably gonna notice much of a difference :lol:

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

Cells&Plasma
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Tunbridge Wells, Kent, England, UK, Europe, The World!!!!

Re: RE: Re: Hi Folks! Wondering about earlier CD editions...

Post by Cells&Plasma » 28 Jul 2018, 19:42

b1daly wrote:eh, I have to take that back on Black and White, the 1988 version I just picked up sounds worse than the 96 remaster...the 88 era Raven CD though does sound better than the remasters...I think it was a dutch release
The Raven CD in bought in The Virgin Megastore in 1989 was manufactured by Toshiba EMI in Japan.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Sir Martin Rushent: “In my experience, the longer you spend making a piece of music, the more likely it is to be a pile of shit.”

JJB: "You say we have strange keyboard parts, well, we have a strange keyboardist! What can I say?"