New Stranglers book coming next year

Post any Stranglers related juicy gossip ere

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: New Stranglers book coming next year

Post by theraven1979 » 21 Oct 2014, 22:55

Bit niche though. I'm guessing thus book will take specific lyrics and analyze them for "outsider" style tendancies?
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_276 using Tapatalk
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Hammersmith1982 » 21 Oct 2014, 23:53

Is it me or is some of it smelling like pretentious bollocks?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

marky
Ugly
Ugly

Post by marky » 22 Oct 2014, 06:29

i quite liked it in its own art ridden angst way

Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody » 22 Oct 2014, 10:14

Hammersmith1982 wrote:Is it me or is some of it smelling like pretentious bollocks?

My thoughts entirely. I don't think the lyrics of Grip or Peaches are to be taken too seriously - the band is just having fun. The endless men in black/UFO analysis is rather over the top as well to my mind. JJ talked about a meninblack ballet a couple of years ago, and the press took him seriously. Do me a favour....
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.

Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack » 22 Oct 2014, 10:31

Out of interest - do you know the author or the publishers then, IR?
'Peaches - A Chronicle of The Stranglers from 1974 to 1990', out 2014 on Soundcheck Books.

Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.

porkymeat
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by porkymeat » 22 Oct 2014, 11:06

Gnostics!
I'll even let you drive my motorbike . . .

MULLY
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by MULLY » 22 Oct 2014, 12:27

Anonymous writes...."In a similar way to Devo, they made misogyny seem 'cool' and trendy for men who like to 'have their cake and eat it'. Their woman hating ranged from casual and flippant to seriously disturbed and embittered. But they also walked the walk! Let us not forget that Hugh Cornwell was a real life woman-beater, or that this was the band who tied a female journalist to the outside of the Eiffel tower for writing a bad review about them. Fundamentally, it is worth remembering that if the situation were reversed, an all-female band writing similar songs about men would not get radio airplay and wouldn't be anywhere near as successful. Most of the 'riot grrrl' bands of the early to mid-nineties never found anywhere near the level of success that The Stranglers did, which only goes to prove that ours is still a society of sickening double-standards."

It wasn't a woman tied to the Eiffel Tower (was it?).
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better

MULLY
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by MULLY » 22 Oct 2014, 12:49

Thanks for the links - and some further reading/insight into the author.

It may come across as "a load of pretentious bollocks" but in fairness there is some thought inducing insights (and after all - as quoted on this Forum umpteen times - everyone is entitled to their opinion).

I think it might be an interesting read - opening up numerous strands for further discussion/dissection - which is always a good thing, rather than the rehashed or inane arguments over Baz's diet for example LOL, or a this happened, then this happened diatribe. As for getting the band's stamp of authority, I daresay if the original autobiographers weren't allowed to delve into certain areas or provide personal insights, then this book would not be countenanced by band members either.

The Stranglers are definitely a band that should deserve some intellectual (pretentious bollock) investigation, dontcha think?
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better

Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack » 22 Oct 2014, 13:15

You're right of course Mully, it wasn't a female journo at the Eiffel Tower and I sincerely doubt Hugh was a woman beater in the way it is described above. He admitted to slapping a girlfriend (once I think) and said he regretted it too.
'Peaches - A Chronicle of The Stranglers from 1974 to 1990', out 2014 on Soundcheck Books.

Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.

evonx
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by evonx » 22 Oct 2014, 15:01

Even if my first thoughts on what I've read now are that it's a bit "too much" I am definately interested in reading this. Bollocks and all 8) :lol:
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came

Bag Lady
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Bag Lady » 22 Oct 2014, 17:52

Hammersmith1982 wrote:Is it me or is some of it smelling like pretentious bollocks?

marky wrote:i quite liked it in its own art ridden angst way
theraven1979 wrote:I think I'll wait for someone else to buy it and review it first before parting with me hard earned!

Jim

You just know I'm going to read this, don't you! 8)
No one can win against kipple.