New Stranglers book coming next year

Post any Stranglers related juicy gossip ere

Moderator: StanInBlack

ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: New Stranglers book coming next year

Post by ThruBeingCool » 30 Apr 2015, 15:38

I imagine you are a little confused reading these forums lately Pidge but I will try and clarify things for you. I am your buddy after all.
Summing up then, it's not ok for a man to slap a woman or for Stranglers to knock each other about. However, it's a right laugh if they abuse journalists. Hope that's cleared things up for you.

MULLY
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by MULLY » 24 May 2015, 09:23

Just finished reading this book and would recommend any fan to give it a go.

It works on a number of levels - the 'heavy' theories of limnality, the Trickster persona and how a state of conflict can influence status and structure within a social, anthropologistic setting can be a bit of a mind-fuck, but the author has certainly done his homework regarding the band and there are some detailed sections of Strangler related stories. You can skip the theortical stuff and just read the band related material and enjoy that without getting bogged down flicking through a dictionary to understand some of the vocabulary.

Personally, with an open mind, I gave it a go and found it a very thought provoking and interesting read. It quotes a number of theories put forward from sociologists, anthropologists, psychologists, etc.. drawing together and cross referencing (sometimes teniously it must be said) to put forth a premise to explain how specifically The Stranglers - but a number of other bands could fit (The Who, The Rolling Stones) into the concept. I have to admit, some parts seem to be crow-barred in to fit the theory and some of the theories appear cherry-picked to fit - but it does hold up , as a theory. Whether you choose to believe it all or not is another matter.

The psychobabble aside, the in depth Strangler material is well researched and provides a very detailed account of songs, incidents and circumstances surrounding the band. I don't claim to be an expert when it comes to the band, but over the years having read numerous books and material posted on this Forum and the BUT PDFs, I was still able to extract some new information from this book.

One thing that did disappoint - there was no bibliography to delve further into the sources quoted - but thats a minor quibble.

Overall, I would advise anyone to give it a go.
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better

Bag Lady
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Bag Lady » 24 May 2015, 19:45

Haven't read this but from what I've heard of it I am very surprised there is no bibliography. It can hardly be considered a serious academic study without one. Must just be a hobby and someone's high horse, can get all that on here.
No one can win against kipple.

ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool » 24 May 2015, 20:54

For fucks sake! who gives a fuck?

This is supposed to be fun, not to be taken too seriously.

Bag Lady
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Bag Lady » 24 May 2015, 21:20

"Oh, this could be someone's university dissertation..." Not without a bibliography it couldn't.

Get off the fairground ride.
No one can win against kipple.

PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon » 24 May 2015, 22:47

MULLY wrote:Just finished reading this book and would recommend any fan to give it a go.

It works on a number of levels - the 'heavy' theories of limnality, the Trickster persona and how a state of conflict can influence status and structure within a social, anthropologistic setting can be a bit of a mind-fuck, but the author has certainly done his homework regarding the band and there are some detailed sections of Strangler related stories. You can skip the theortical stuff and just read the band related material and enjoy that without getting bogged down flicking through a dictionary to understand some of the vocabulary.

Personally, with an open mind, I gave it a go and found it a very thought provoking and interesting read. It quotes a number of theories put forward from sociologists, anthropologists, psychologists, etc.. drawing together and cross referencing (sometimes teniously it must be said) to put forth a premise to explain how specifically The Stranglers - but a number of other bands could fit (The Who, The Rolling Stones) into the concept. I have to admit, some parts seem to be crow-barred in to fit the theory and some of the theories appear cherry-picked to fit - but it does hold up , as a theory. Whether you choose to believe it all or not is another matter.

The psychobabble aside, the in depth Strangler material is well researched and provides a very detailed account of songs, incidents and circumstances surrounding the band. I don't claim to be an expert when it comes to the band, but over the years having read numerous books and material posted on this Forum and the BUT PDFs, I was still able to extract some new information from this book.

One thing that did disappoint - there was no bibliography to delve further into the sources quoted - but thats a minor quibble.

Overall, I would advise anyone to give it a go.
Cheers Mully. 8)
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.

Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack » 26 May 2015, 08:19

Good review, thanks Mully.

I also agree though, that it is meant to be fun as well :smile:
'Peaches - A Chronicle of The Stranglers from 1974 to 1990', out 2014 on Soundcheck Books.

Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.