Details here: http://www.zero-books.net/books/strangled

It looks dead intellectual.

Also on Amazon

Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: New Stranglers book coming next year

Post by Bobinblack » 21 Oct 2014, 14:29

It does doesn't it? That's not a dig btw :grin: And judging by the lack of band logo, I suspect this hasn't been supported by the management :(
'Peaches - A Chronicle of The Stranglers from 1974 to 1990', out 2014 on Soundcheck Books.

Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.

Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula » 21 Oct 2014, 14:49

''The Stranglers occupy a paradoxical position within the history of popular music. Although major artists within the punk and new-wave movements, their contribution to those genres has been effectively quarantined by subsequent critical and historical analyses. They are somehow """"outside"""" the realm of what responsible accounts of the period consider to be worthy of chronicling. Why is this so? Certainly The Stranglers' seedy and intimidating demeanor, and well-deserved reputation for misogyny and violence, offer a superficial explanation for their cultural excommunication. However, this landmark work suggests that the unsettling aura that permeated the group and their music had much more profound origins; ones that continue to have disturbing implications even today. The Stranglers, it argues, continue to be marginalised because, whether by accident or design, they brought to the fore the underlying issues of identity, status and structure that must by necessity be hidden from society's conscious awareness. For this, they would not be forgiven.''

A bit of 'light' reading then... :lol:
ManInBrown

marky
Ugly
Ugly

Post by marky » 21 Oct 2014, 14:51

it might be good..... giving a whole new perspective about our beloved band........ or it might say hugh cornwell is rejoining

Burn e 77
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Burn e 77 » 21 Oct 2014, 18:10

Been informed by the publishers that this book does not contain a colouring-in section (crayon / watercolour, compatible).
Bernie 77
Something better change!

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 » 21 Oct 2014, 18:57

I think I'll wait for someone else to buy it and review it first before parting with me hard earned!

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody » 21 Oct 2014, 19:14

Rockula wrote:''The Stranglers occupy a paradoxical position within the history of popular music. Although major artists within the punk and new-wave movements, their contribution to those genres has been effectively quarantined by subsequent critical and historical analyses. They are somehow """"outside"""" the realm of what responsible accounts of the period consider to be worthy of chronicling. Why is this so? Certainly The Stranglers' seedy and intimidating demeanor, and well-deserved reputation for misogyny and violence, offer a superficial explanation for their cultural excommunication. However, this landmark work suggests that the unsettling aura that permeated the group and their music had much more profound origins; ones that continue to have disturbing implications even today. The Stranglers, it argues, continue to be marginalised because, whether by accident or design, they brought to the fore the underlying issues of identity, status and structure that must by necessity be hidden from society's conscious awareness. For this, they would not be forgiven.'':
...my arse.
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.

Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack » 21 Oct 2014, 20:14

As Ava has said on Facebollocks, this could actually be someone's uni thesis :lol:
'Peaches - A Chronicle of The Stranglers from 1974 to 1990', out 2014 on Soundcheck Books.

Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack » 21 Oct 2014, 20:16

I hope the book is better than the publisher's 'blurb' and the product description on Amazon.

Has anyone noticed any mention of the band's MUSIC btw?

cecile-p
SHAKESPEARO

Post by cecile-p » 21 Oct 2014, 21:12

I've read extracts from this book and I found it very interesting. it's not very easy to read though, there are references to a lot of philosophers' works. but at least, it's a new and intelligent approach to the band.

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 » 21 Oct 2014, 21:49

That's the 2nd time I've read the blurb and I still don't get what "landmark" angle this book presents? It states that they're seen as outsiders in "critical analysis" of punk and new wave retrospectives. I disagree the only time they're ignored is if Jon Savage has anything to do with it.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

IntenselyRelaxed
SHAKESPEARO

Post by IntenselyRelaxed » 21 Oct 2014, 22:29

They certainly weren't mentioned in "Punk Britannia". Perhaps that's the kind of thing they mean.