Next Year's Convention 2014.

Post any Stranglers related juicy gossip ere

Moderator: StanInBlack

evonx
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: Next Year's Convention 2014.

Post by evonx » 20 Mar 2013, 12:44

It sounds really really good and I'll be there of course but let's wait til its on the Rats Lair before we book days off etc. 8) :grin:
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came

Burn e 77
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Burn e 77 » 20 Mar 2013, 12:59

evonx wrote:It sounds really really good and I'll be there of course but let's wait til its on the Rats Lair before we book days off etc. 8) :grin:
Lets all hope that "stubbs" got his '40th Anniversary Convention 2014' information correct, when told to him in discussion with JJ and Dave, outside the Guildford gig venue... because this is where all this Unconfirmed info has emanated from, of which I was the conduit! I was so excited when i was told about it... that i posted it on the Forum without 100% proof of it's providence... BUT the 'HEADING' of this section is: 'RUMOURS" so I kinda feel OK about it... Lets f*ckin hope it's true! 8)
Burn e 77
Something better change!

straightenout
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by straightenout » 20 Mar 2013, 15:40

Burn e 77 wrote:
evonx wrote:It sounds really really good and I'll be there of course but let's wait til its on the Rats Lair before we book days off etc. 8) :grin:
Lets all hope that "stubbs" got his '40th Anniversary Convention 2014' information correct, when told to him in discussion with JJ and Dave, outside the Guildford gig venue... because this is where all this Unconfirmed info has emanated from, of which I was the conduit! I was so excited when i was told about it... that i posted it on the Forum without 100% proof of it's providence... BUT the 'HEADING' of this section is: 'RUMOURS" so I kinda feel OK about it... Lets f*ckin hope it's true! 8)
Burn e 77
Well i was at Guildford with Stubs and although not with him when he had a chat about Convention with JJ ,I was with him when he mentioned playing the Hope and Anchor set to Dave Greenfield at the Convention to which Dave who didnt dismiss the idea said ' I cant remember what the set was !!' to which Stubs said 'It come out on cd!!' 'Did it !!!!' responded Dave ,so the Convention was mentioned to two members of the band and neither said it wont happen-Fingers crossed :smile:
I don't mean Rough Looking

Duke in Black
Down In The Sewer

Post by Duke in Black » 21 Mar 2013, 09:55

straightenout wrote: Dave who didnt dismiss the idea said ' I cant remember what the set was !!' to which Stubs said 'It come out on cd!!' 'Did it !!!!' responded Dave
Shock!!!! The Stranglers don't listen to The Stranglers!!!

Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Alexinblack » 21 Mar 2013, 21:19

Hope and Anchor set would be something special.

Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Re: Next Year's Convention 2014... Raven in FULL!!!

Post by Jon the Impaler » 30 Mar 2013, 11:49

Burn e 77 wrote:
theraven1979 wrote:Gonna be a lot of disappointed people if this doesn't happen Bernie

Jim
Burn e 77 wrote:JJ, said in conversation yesterday outside the Guildford gig venue... That a MIB Convention will take place at the end of the special '40th Anniversary Tour'... in 2014 :wink: .
He also mentioned that at the Convention... the band will be performing the 'Raven' album in FULL 8) .
Burn e 77

PS. the Roundhouse gig was Fuckin Ace! Just like Brighton was... BUT EVEN BETTER!! 8)
Hi Jim,
JJ, was in conversation with 'Stubbs' outside the Guildford gig venue, Dave was there too... He told 'Stubbs' this was gonna happen at the end of 2014... A special 40th Anniversary Convention... Jim, PM. Pidge for info, fella.
cheers
Burn e 77
Who'd have guessed they'd last 40 years :grin: . To think in '79 the music press were saying the band were going to split on the back of two solo albums . Not many bands of their generation , if any , have stood the test of time to this degree.
All quiet ..........

stubsinblack
SHAKESPEARO

Post by stubsinblack » 15 Oct 2013, 23:43

I'm not sure who the "stubs" in question is - but it's not me so don't have a go if none of this is true!

Now then, in the spirit of people called stubs starting rumours on the flimsiest of evidence - here's one for you all. An old school friend of mine says he saw JJ and Hugh together at Birmingham airport (of all places!) last month. He and I went to a few Stranglers gigs together in the 70s and 80s and even played Nuclear Device and Hanging Around in a school band we formed in 1981 - so he has a reasonable idea of who the MIB are and what they look like. Since our days at school together (unlike me) he's now all grown up, has stopped going to gigs and is an upstanding pillar of the community, being a headteacher at a school in the midlands - so it's been a while since he's seen any of the band, past or present, in the flesh, so he might be mistaken. On the other hand, he's not the type to invent stories for a wind-up and he saw fit to get in touch with me after over a decade of silence to tell me this, so there might be something in it? Jon.

db63
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by db63 » 16 Oct 2013, 02:54

Birmingham airport together I wonder when exactly ,the plot thickens .

Flyboy
Rats Rally

Post by Flyboy » 16 Oct 2013, 15:20

stubsinblack wrote:I'm not sure who the "stubs" in question is - but it's not me so don't have a go if none of this is true!

Now then, in the spirit of people called stubs starting rumours on the flimsiest of evidence - here's one for you all. An old school friend of mine says he saw JJ and Hugh together at Birmingham airport (of all places!) last month. He and I went to a few Stranglers gigs together in the 70s and 80s and even played Nuclear Device and Hanging Around in a school band we formed in 1981 - so he has a reasonable idea of who the MIB are and what they look like. Since our days at school together (unlike me) he's now all grown up, has stopped going to gigs and is an upstanding pillar of the community, being a headteacher at a school in the midlands - so it's been a while since he's seen any of the band, past or present, in the flesh, so he might be mistaken. On the other hand, he's not the type to invent stories for a wind-up and he saw fit to get in touch with me after over a decade of silence to tell me this, so there might be something in it? Jon.
Lucky its not April the first!

If there was substance to this, i would have thought the press would have jumped on it. But its not even c list celeb gossip.

Good rumour though. And no i aint callin anyone a fibber.pmsl

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 » 16 Oct 2013, 18:43

Birmingham airport - how romantic for them :lol:

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea » 16 Oct 2013, 18:49

theraven1979 wrote:Birmingham airport - how romantic for them :lol:

Jim
Maybe a new collaborative album in the offing. Eurohub anyone?
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.

stubsinblack
SHAKESPEARO

Post by stubsinblack » 16 Oct 2013, 23:13

OK - His e-mail to me was sent on 10/09/13. Here's the text, verbatim, spelling mistakes and all...

Saw hugh Cornwell at Birmingham airport - he was cheking in his guitar on a pre-booking line, and I saw his name on teh screen. he was with, I am sure, Jean-Jacques Burnel, and I told him I had, that morning, been listening to Princess of teh streets!

He doesn't say whether the "sighting" was that day or not and I've no way of telling whether it's true. Just thought I'd pass it on. This is a rumour thread after all.........

SiB